Sunday, May 19, 2013

Race Day!

Race day has come and gone and I am so excited to share all of the details!
This post might be a little lengthy because I will be sharing everything from the 24 hours before the race to me crossing the finish line.
 
Friday was prep day. Fargo holds a running exposition where all of the runners (I get to call myself a runner!) go to pick up their packets. I went along with my training friend where I was FINALLY able to get a picture with her.
 
 
My training would not have been as successful as it was without her. This was Anneli's third half marathon and I am so thankful that she helped coach me through my training.

Here I am at the expo - all of the runners were able to take these silly pictures.
 
These are my "good luck, please don't die" flowers from my mom. She was pretty worried that my heart wasn't going to make it through the race. I love you mom!
 
 
5-18-2013 = Race Day
 
4:50 AM - I wake to the sound of my alarm and rain tapping my roof. I'm excited and nervous. Time to start getting ready for my big day. First on the list? Coffee and  race inspiration.
 
 




"The journey to success is not for the impatient...there are no shortcuts...you will need to invest time wisely by engaging in "deliberate" practice - practice that focuses on tasks beyond your current level of competence and comfort. You will need a well informed coach not only to guide you through deliberate practice but also help you learn how to coach yourself. " I love this quote! Training for this race has taught me a life long lesson.  Acknowledge your dreams, make a plan, set your mind on the prize, and don't look back. It might get hard, it may feel like you will never get there, but before you know it you will be crossing the finish line.
 
 
 5:30 AM = go time.
 
 Fresh breath: check
 
Husband cheerleader: check

My husband has been truly amazing through this entire process. Training for something like this is very time consuming. He has been so supportive, I cannot thank him enough. He put up with me getting home late, leaving early on weekends to do long runs, all time that we could have been spending together. He put up with me complaining, being tired and sore, and he cooked a whole lot for me. Basically I am eternally in debt to him for being so amazing to me. Thanks baby!

 
 
7:15 AM (after making it through crazy traffic, braking a few laws,
and probably pissing a punch of people off) - race line up.


Brent took this just before I weaved my way into the crowd of 6000 people lined up for this event.

7:30 AM - Gun start, time to put my body to the test. Let's race!
 
 
Crossing the start line.

 
My race strategy:
My biggest concern was starting the race at a good pace. Imagine yourself surrounded by 6,000 people, amazing energy, your blood is pumping, you've been waiting for this day for three months. #1 mistake is to start too fast. Luckily, there are people in the line up called "pacers". They are placed in the race to run at a certain pace depending on your goal finish time. I located the 2 hours and 10 minute pace group and started there. After a few miles I realized that I could probably go a little faster so I ran ahead and used the group as a gage my whole race. I knew I was keeping a steady pace as long I was in front of them and my heart rate wasn't rising too quickly.



 
This picture was taken around mile three. My husband met me four different times during the race with our dogs. It was so fun having them there! Here I ran to him up to him for a kiss and kept going :)

This is Leonidas, he was helping cheer on all of the runners too!

!0:30ish AM - I am crossing the finish line with a time of 2 hours 7 minutes and 29 seconds.

 
How did it go? IT WAS AWESOME! Mile 9 was the hardest. I developed a terrible cramp in my right hip flexor that was pretty painful. I forced myself to run through it and it eventually subsided after about a half of a mile. ultiple times during the race I found myself feeling a little emotional. It is so inspiring to look around you and see so many people coming together for the same purpose. I didn't put my headphones in one time during the entire race. I was having so much fun listening to all of the runners around me I didn't need them! 
 
Here are a few miscellaneous race pictures:


 
 
Thank you so much for reading my story! I hope you enjoyed my posts. I had a great time putting them together :) This journey has been so great and I hope that all of you out there are inspired to do anything your heart desires. If I can do it so can you!
 

 


 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment